Slow cooker onion soup

Hello again! Long time, no see! I didn't plan out to take such a long break, but all of a sudden it's December and I haven't posted since September. There's no big reason behind my break, I just simply didn't find the time to sit in front of my computer and write a new post. Also, taking photos while cooking can be quite challenging, and I often found myself too focused on cooking that I forgot to take photos for the blog. But finally, here I am, ready to share with you one of my all-time favorite recipes: onion soup. 

Close up slow cooker onion soup with grated cheese


Onion soup is not just one of my favorite dishes, but also one I associate with the Holiday season. So, since Christmas is upon us, I thought it would be really fitting. As far as I'm concerned, onion soup originated in Paris, France, but it has expanded to several European countries. Each country seems to have its own version of this dish, so I'm simply going to share the way I make it, which isn't necessarily "the Spanish version". It's just "MC's version". If you happen to make a version of this soup, let me know in the comment section how you make it.

Ingredients:

  • 1,5 kg of sweet onion.
  • 1,5 liters of stock (beef, chicken, veggies...).
  • Gruyere cheese or any other cheese you like. 
  • 4 loafs of bread.
  • 2 tablespoons of butter.
  • Black pepper.
  • Nutmeg.


Servings: 4

Cooking time: 3 hours

Temperature: High

Preparation time: 20 minutes.


Before we start, I must clarify that the way I make this dish is not 100% slow cooker, but rather a hybrid I came up with to save me time. However, I will explain how to make this recipe just with the slow cooking mode, but it will take you around 7 hours.

I start by putting some butter on my pan for it to start melting. I'm using my Multicooker, so I'm using the sauté mode. You can use a regular pan if you don't have this type of slow cooker.

Cut the onions in big pieces, like so. 


Place the onions inside the pot and cook them for around 15-20 minutes. Add more butter if needed, plus some pepper and nutmeg. Stir constantly, specially towards the end, to avoid them getting burned. 


You will notice they are cooked because they're not just significantly smaller in volume, but also you'll see some "strings" of onion coming out as you stir them. 


Now it's time to add your stock. I always use the stock I get from puchero, but you can use whatever you have available. Add salt if needed. 


Cook in H
igh for 3 hours.

Once it's lunch time, serve in some oven safe bowls. Add some grated cheese and a loaf of toasted bread. I often use Gruyère, but sometimes if we're feeling fancy we might buy some Swiss cheese (Lidl is a great place for this). 


Place them in the oven and cook with grill mode at 180ºC for around 5 minutes. Finally, our onion soup is ready to enjoy!


Slow cooker mode: To cook the onion in slow cooker mode, place them inside your slow cooker with some butter, nutmeg and pepper. Cook in High for 4 hours, making sure you stir them every 45 to 60 minutes. Then place the stock and cook in High for 3 more hours. 

I hope you guys enjoyed this recipe. If you make it, let me know your recipe and which types of cheese do you use. Do you have any special dish that you like to make for the Holidays?


Soon it will be 1 year anniversary of this blog and I started pretty strong, posting once a month, but soon it became quite challenging. I do have plans to keep posting on this blog for 2022, but maybe not once a month. I don't like to talk much about it, but I have a pretty bad case of migraines, and often they interfere with my plans. So, when I'm feeling better, I have to pick all  the slack of work I didn't do when I wasn't feeling well, and this blog is one of the last things on my priority list. That basically means I will post when I have time for it, no pressure. 

I've also been considering other type of posts, such as talking about something cultural or a Spanish tradition. Most of them will still be food-related, as food is such an important part of Spanish culture, and we are very passionate about it. I am planning one about Spanish Christmas sweets and treats. Let me know what do you think about this.

I hope you're all doing well and staying safe and healthy. Wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

M. C. 


Find my recipes on Yummly

Check out my Facebook page

Comments

  1. Sounds delicious. Glad you got back to posting here. I liked your recipes so far quite a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't have much time for this blog right now, but I'll try to be back as soon as possible.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slow cooker roasted chicken

Spanish empanadillas stuffed with garden peas