Growing our own tomatoes

If you follow my main blog, you know that last year I moved home. I was planning to get a mini-garden in my balcony (I live in a flat), with some condiments such as parsley and maybe some cherry tomatoes, which I love. Unfortunately, lockdown happened a few weeks after we moved home, so that had to be put on hold until later. 


Earlier on this year, we finally got the chance to start our urban garden. My partner saw that, on Lidl, they were selling some eggplant/aubergine and tomato plants, so he got us two tomato plants and one eggplant for us. We also bought some cherry tomato seeds, but unfortunately those didn't turn out great. 

We had no experience in gardening or whatsoever, but we tried our best. We transplanted the plants into bigger pots and hoped for the best. For a while, we didn't see many noticeable changes, but around a month ago we saw little tomatoes starting to appear. 

Baby tomato

The tomatoes kept growing and appearing. I got really happy every time I discovered a new baby tomato or a baby eggplant. 


Due to the weight, one of the branches broke. It was the branch that had the first tomato and a second one. Since it didn't break completely, we tried to repair it, but we didn't have much hope for those tomatoes. Surprisingly, the first tomato matured properly and, around a week ago, we managed to pick it. 




We also got to pick our first two baby eggplants, which we cooked stuffed that weekend.


As for the tomato, we just cut it, added a pinch of salt and olive oil and called it a day. It was very tasty, a bit acid, but delicious.


As I'm writing this, we have two more tomatoes ready to be picked up. This one on the photo below is also growing on the branch that broke, so I guess we underestimated them!


There's something so satisfying about getting to eat vegetables that you grew yourself. And I find taking care of the plants so relaxing. I'm quite limited to what I can grow because my balcony is quite small, but for now this will do. In the long run, I'd love to move to a townhouse with a patio or some other bigger outdoor space. Don't get me wrong, I do like this house, but I like to dream about the future. 

I hope you guys liked this post, despite being a bit different. I still don't have anything planned out for my next recipe, so we'll see what can I come up with. Right now, I have a lot to take care of. Yesterday we received some new furniture that needs assembling, which will take most of our spare time. Between that, and my studies, I don't know if I'll find much time to write another recipe post (which takes a lot of time). I'm also trying to work on a craft project for my main blog, which also takes a lot of time. We'll see what I can do. 

See you as soon as possible. 

M.C.

Comments

  1. Hi Linda! It is stronger than we thought, and today we picked the second tomato from that branch. I don't know what went wrong with your mom's tree, but gardening can be weird. I still don't know what went wrong with our cherry tomatoes, but I want to try again next year.

    I hope I will have many oportunities, but the situation is a bit complicated right now.

    Big hugs to you too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slow cooker roasted chicken

Slow cooker onion soup

Salsa brava (spicy dipping sauce)